Friday, March 21, 2008

Just say no.

My wonderful husband gave me a gift certificate to our neighborhood spa last year for Mothers Day. Now that I'm staring down the jaws of NEXT Mothers Day, I decided it was time to bite the bullet, hire a sitter and use it. I decided to go for microdermabrasion. After all, why spend spa bucks on a manicure/pedicure when you can get the $25 deal at grimy little places all over town?

I went to the spa happy and relaxed, even though I know microdermabrasion is a little scary and painful. I was ready for that. I was not, however, ready for the hard sell.

As she finished the aesthetician said, "I'm going to prescrbe a few products for you."

You're an aestheician, not a doctor. You can't prescribe. You can recommend.

But I was caught off-guard. I was weak. The aroma-therapy went to my head. I bought thre over-priced sunscreen and cleanser, even though I knew they were only marginally better than cetaphil and the baby sunblock I use.

Lesson learned: Always be prepared to dodge the sale. Have a line ready like, "Hmm. Thanks. Could I try a sample first?"

No comments: