Thursday, March 13, 2008

DIY Disappointment - Sort of...

A few days ago, I was scrubbing away in the shower using my affordable Boots scrub when I thought to myself, "Why did I spend money on this? Couldn't I, shouldn't I, just make my own?!" I had a similar thought when we ran out of the all-natural bubble bath we give our son. A little internet research and a small fortune in essential oils later, I got mixing.

The bubble bath was flat.
The scrub actually hurt.

The second was actually my fault. I decided to use Kosher coarse salt instead on fine salt for the scrub. It seemed cooler, more boutique-y. Definitely a bad idea. I made a second batch of the scrub according to directions (mostly) which felt much better and smelled fantastic.

Therein lies the good news. The recommended blends of essential oils in the recipes I used were fantastic. The scrub smelled almost exactly like Origins Ginger Scrub (actually, a little better) and the bath couldn't have been more soothing for our little guy at the end of the day. Now, how about those bubbles..I will try another concoction and keep you posted...

For the ginger scrub...http://www.pvsoap.com/recipe_gingerzest_scrub.htm

The soothing aromatherapy blend for babies and toddlers...and mommies...
80 drops lavender essential oil
10 drops neroli essential oil
6 drops Roman chamomile essential oil

No comments: