On Sunday, I went to a Toys 'R Us. We had a birthday party for two-year-old twins to attend and we needed a gift. I buy almost nothing new for my boys, so it had been a long time since my last Toys 'R Us visit. I was dumbfounded - aisle after aisle of packaged, plastic toys - plastic toys that will someday fill up dumps and landfills. Still, I feel a little funny about giving friends' kids used toys, so I bought them two large plastic trucks. $50 and a guilty conscience later, I split.
When we buy used toys, we do more than make our kids happy. We help out another mom who could use a little cash - for herself or for her family. We avoid the packaging that comes with new toys and hurts our planet. We save a landfill from getting overwhelmed with Cozy Coupes.
And, let's be honest, the kids don't care if the toys are new.
So, how do I find great used toys?
#1: Craigslist
I subscribe to the Fisher Price developmental e-mails that recommend good toys for my sons' ages. It gives me great ideas for my boys.
Then I create a shopping list and post it on craigslist.
I try to pick up locally to avoid carbon footprint issues, or at least combine pick up with something else I need to do.
Here's a great story: Sometimes you don't know what you want as a parent until you're there. We purchased two used strollers before our second son was born. One is lightweight and great for travel, although kind of a pain on our old streets and sidewalks. One is a limo - huge, great for the carseat at this point, but nearly impossible to wheel around shops or in crowds. About a month ago, I became obsessed with the Phil and Teds SP. It has single stroller handling, but you can tote both munchkins in it. Sadly, it retails for about $600 with the rain cover and accessories.
Undaunted, I hit craigslist. I posted what I was looking for and what I could afford. Eventually, a dad from New York City contacted me with the right stroller at the right price. I sold off one our single strollers to get some cash to pay for it. Yesterday was beautiful, so I put the boys in the car, we drove to New York, picked up the stroller, met the nicest mom and her lovely kids in the process, and cruised on over to the South Street Seaport for an hour or so.
Everyone won. A mom from Haverford with Bugaboo envy scored our old one for a fraction of the full cost. We got the double stroller I've been craving an dhng out in New York for a day. And a New York mama cleared out some space in her apartment and got some shopping money!
#2 Consignment Sales and Yard Sales
Go with a list of what you are looking for so you don't over-purchase. See my previous post.
Other Options
If you would like a rotating supply of toys, check out the toy library in Center City: http://www.holytrinityrittenhouse.org/welcome.html.
Freecycle is a good source, although it is best for soft needs. For example, I've gotten a Judy Clock and a K'Nex set for later use.
Ebay is better for clothing than for toys. The shipping costs can kill you.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment