Wednesday, February 6, 2008

20s vs. 30s

My husband prefers to comment in person. He says that I must get in touch with what I did on dates in my 20s. My 20s were split.

During the first half I dated a med student. We were broke - not "broke, but happy" - just broke. We drove cross country for two months and each spent well under a thousand dollars. Gas was cheap. We were cheaper. We argued like crazy, but never over money. We knew we could get by and that times would get better.

Actually, we did argue over money once. In Key West, I agreed to a $3 ATM fee. He was not pleased. I said, sarcastically, "I guess I learned my lesson." He said, "Good." I should have left it there, keeping my sarcasm to myself. But, NO, I had to be heard: "The lesson was not to discuss ATM fees with you."

During the second half, I went blond and let men take me to every new restaurant in Philadelphia. I was broke, but it hardly seemed to affect me - other than living in a well-positioned hovel.

So, I guess my 20s were full of smoke and mirrors. I lived broke and believed I would someday be rich. I lived rich and feared I would always be broke.

Hmm.

In my 30s I have more than I ever dreamed, including a fantastic husband and two beautiful babies. I also have a budget.

No comments: