Sunday, December 27, 2009

Shopping locally

Very successful in my last LuLu trip. I managed to buy almost exclusively Omani produce - only deviating for French apples and 1 Thai dragon fruit. We buy a lot of produce, so I'd like to officially pat myself on the back. In the end, I think it saved us about 100-150 aed.

On the otherhand, in an effort to keep my younger one quiet I grabbed a six pack Pepperidge Farm goldfish without looking at the price. I know...yum...but hardly local and hardly green....and hardly cheap. The cashier kept checking the price as he rang it up. Finally he asked, "Is this really 27 aed?"

Red in the face, I had to admit that yeah, probably it was.

On another topic, Juliet (the famous highlight girl used by all of the Western Emirati ladies) has moved salons. She is now at Manara, above the Lebanese cafe, next to the Lebanese roaster, near Electra and 28th. Fringe trim, conditioning treatment, and a manicure for 130 aed. A little costlier than ZamZam, but still a steal compared to the Hilton. Better environment, though. They have a few organic treatments and even gave me a netbook to play on while I waited.

No comments: