Monday, December 7, 2009

A cheap affair

I have sworn up and down that I would never, ever, ever trust my highlights to anyone other than Emilio at the Hilton. Anyone who knew me 9 years ago could tell you that I suffered from double processing gone awry. Therefore, I am very picky about who I will let touch my hair with color.

Still...a cut, color, and treatment with Emilio runs about 720 aed (200ish usd)...Having hit the 1000usd mark on hair this year, I decided to try something else.

Enter A, the Scottish Emirati. Peeping out from under her sheyla, I noticed some pretty fine highlights one day. She whispered a name, passed me a number, and off she went. This is how A operates...and one of the many reasons why she is so well loved in this town.

So, I took her up on it, made an appointment, and asked for directions...As everyone knows, you can get anywhere in Abu Dhabi in 20 minutes...unless it's the first time you're going there. Then you need an hour. You will get lost.

The directions: "behind the Crowne Plaza"
The reality: Me behind the Crowne Plaza. No ZAMZAM Salon to be seen. Me asking the folks at the Crowne Plaza. Them calling the salon and getting directions...about 6 minute walk. Should be..."Park near the Crowne Plaza and look for the mosque next to Chow King...we are behind those buildings."

My hairdresser, Juliet, actually tried to give me highlights using a cap. No way Jose, said I. We agreed on foils. 250 aed later (about 70usd), I had some decent highlights (a funny chunk in the front, but hidden by the bangs), a hot oil treatment, a manicure, and a massage.

So....will I go back? Maybe. Ideally, I'd alternate. Depends on how mad Emilio is when I go back to him!

In the meantime, ZamZam "behind the Crowne Plaza" gets a thumbs mostly up. Just tell Juliet to make very skinny highlights...and this place might work out to be a find.

No comments: