Monday, July 28, 2008

The Cost of Friendship

A single friend in New York City got some bad news on Sunday. Dutifully, I went out, bought something to wear that looked like it was purchased this YEAR, and hopped the train to the city. Cheap Mama that I am, I passed on Amtrak and combined Septa with NJT for a savings of over $60.

But that's where I had to say good-bye to Cheap Mama. My friend wanted to go for a cocktail at the pool at the Gansevoort Hotel. As everyone knows, this is a place where said cocktail will put you back an easy $20. That's only after you've gotten past the bouncers because you spent a pile of dough on a new dress.

Now, back in the old days, I would have thought of that one $20 cocktail as an investment and would have allowed someone else to pick up the tab for the rest of the night.

Times have changed. And I think I may be a better person than I once was.

When the time came for another round, I simply excused myself and walked to the bar to replenish our glasses. I had not yet had the opportunity to tell our new friends that I was married and wouldn't risk coming off improperly! No looking down at my empty glass. No batting my eyelashes. Nothing. Just pulling out my amex and taking care of myself.

Later on in the evening, I was chatting with a professor who knew I was married while my friend chatted with his friend. He said he would buy us a round because he needed to keep me occupied (what a prince). I let him; however, he no sooner paid for the drinks than my friend appeared declaring that she did not like his friend and wanted to leave. Five years ago, I would have simply left. But this past Saturday, I actually opened by wallet, pulled out a $20, handed it to the fellow, and apologized for leaving so abruptly. My husband has since pointed out that the fellow in question probably did not care and actually may have profitted by $5.

5 comments:

brunettebabe said...

It sounded like you needed more self validation regarding your ability to pick up men rather than helping a friend in need. That man's acceptance of your $20 repayment is proof positive that he had another agenda. Was cheapmama trying to get her husband jealous? it didn't seem to work. he was more worried about the $5. One should never use alcohol to console a friend. I can refer you to a local chapter of AA if you are in need. "Batting your eyes and staring at your empty glass?" Yuck- it sounds so Paris Hilton. Conserving money should not involve booze prostitution. Accepting that the old days are long gone is hard for new mothers. You probably spent hours squeezing into your girdle. Oh, good luck, poor thing!

brunettebabe said...

Wow! Your husband must be really crazy to let you have guys buy you drinks in New York. (No matter what excuse they offer- guys always want something in return!) This was proven when he accepted your $20 repayment. Naive mothers should stay out of New York bars and cheapmamas should not resort to booze prostitution! I try not to use alcohol to console a friend.

Philly6String said...

BB, you really should READ the post before commenting on it. Also, you might want to cut back on the booze yourself, you're sounding a bit redundant.

brunettebabe said...

Oh, sorry Cheapmama- My comments were quite harsh. I was having an I hate men night thing with my gal-pals- and we were ridiculous. Love your money saving tips.

Christine said...

Interesting points all around. Just for clarification, I have never needed a girdle ;). I look fabulous.