Monday, November 30, 2009

Cheap and green in the gulf

The gulf isn't know for anything cheap...and certainly not known for anything green (except Masdar and IRENA, of course!). And, I am sorry to say, that I haven't been much of either since moving to Abu Dhabi. So here we are, one year in, slowly moving ourselves to Dubai and I think it may be possible that I haven recycled fewer than 10 items in one year, purchased almost everything new...for two apartments, and have made little conscious effort to be "cheap."

So, I wonder, as I zip from Abu Dhabi to Dubai several times a week in my SUV...is it possible to be a cheap, green mama in the UAE...or will the sidewalk cafes in JBR continue to lure me away from my once virtuous ways?

Let's start this month off by resolving to cut down on my grocery bill and my carbon footprint by buying local...also using Dubizzle as my number one Christmas present and decoration source. A vow which I've already blown a bit (bought some decorations at IKEA and a few U.S. items from Carrefour at Marina Mall tonight...)

Looking at a fantastic 2nd hand Christmas present on Dubizzle for my husband, however. Top secret - of course.

No comments: